Thursday, November 13, 2008

RM#2 : Day 13 Nool kol chutney (ganth gobhi chutney)

Nool kol or Ganth Gobhi is one type of turnip. It is my father's favourite veg. In India I never used it much other than to make sambhar. It is a seasonal vegetable in India and available for a very short period. I don't know if all of you know what it is. So I searched for it in Wikipedia and got the names for it in other languages too.
Assamese "Olkobi" , Bengali "ওলকপি" (Olkopi), Hindi "गांठ-गोभी" (ganth-gobhi), Kannada "Navil Kos", Marathi "Naval Kol / khaval ", Punjabi/dogri "Kadam" , Tamil "Nool Kol".

Here we get it very commonly. So I keep experimenting with this. Here I came up with a chutney made from Nool Kol. 
 
Ingredients
Nool Kol (Ganth Gobi) - 1 big
Onion - 2 big
Tamarind - lemon size
Mustard - 1 t.sp
Red chilli - 4 to 5 
Channa dal - 1 tb.sp
Urad dal - 1 tb.sp
Tomato - 1 big (optional)
Coconut - 2 tb.sp
Coriander Leaves - a little (optional)
Curry leaves (optional)
Method
Peel the skin of the nool kol and cut them into small cubes. Chop the onions and tomatoes (if you are using it, I did not use tomatoes here). Heat about 1 t.sp of oil in a kadai. Splutter the mustard and then add the urad dal, channa dal, red chilli, curry leaves. Keep it aside. Then again heat 1 tb.sp oil in the same kadai and add onions and fry till translucent. Add tomatoes and cook till soft and then add the diced nool kol. And salt and cook till becomes soft on medium. Then add the coconut and coriander leaves and mix it well. Now let this mixture. After it cools down, put the veg mix in the mixer and make a smooth paste of it. When it becomes a smooth paste then add the dal - chilli mix which we had let to cool and run the mixer again. See to it that it should not become a smooth paste again. It should be little coarse. Eat it with idli/dosa.

Don't forget to see what the RM runners are cooking today.
1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga

20)Sripriya

21)Viji

22)Kamalika

23)Pavani

24)Karuna

25)Roochi

18 comments:

  1. This is tempting chutney. I have seen this veggie in the market but dont know what to call it and waht is made with that. looking delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting idea to use this vegetable in a chutney! It supposed to be very good for diabetics .. so a new way to prepare this dish is always welcome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had this vegetable, it looks really yumm

    ReplyDelete
  4. they soud new to me dear.....this is 1st time am seeing those .............gr8

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is new for me.....but looks inviting....thanks for sharing..

    Besides a lovely surprise is waiting for you, collect it from my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had tasted this only once tht too long time ago. it was delicious. and seeing ure recipe just made my mouthwater. nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good way to eat this vegetable.. i don't buy this regularly as i don't know how to use it.. hehe..bookmarked ur recipe for future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew of nool kol chutney. Will try this one out.

    Hey onme more thing. Can you send me ur e-mail. Will try to rectify the problem.

    DK
    Culinarybazaar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nool Kol Chutney? New to me! looks so spicy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried chutney with noolkol..its really looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very recently only I am using this veggie Lakshmi..But chutney is new to me..Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen this, the dish looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow i saw this veggie many a times in the market. Wow this recipe sounds gr8. Will buy this veggie next time and try out this yummylicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have something spl for u in my blog..pls check it out: http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/11/awards-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love vegetable chutneys, and I will surely try this soon. Thanks for sharing Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband keeps complaining I never try out chutneys!! This looks good - I knew turai was used but gaanth gobi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. we normally put this is sambhar this is new to me thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...