Friday, October 3, 2008

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Many of us like Tomato sauce as a dip for many different dishes and also as an ingredient in some of the dishes. And mostly it is readymade brought from stores sauce. So I used to make Tomato sauce at home, when I used to get Tomatoes for a little cost in India. But after coming to Germany I had not made it for a long time, since I had left the recipe back at my home in India. Some days back I incidentally landed on Experiments in Kailas Kitchen & there I saw a recipe for Tomato Sauce. And I made it with slight variations to suit our taste. I was very good & easy to make.


Homemade Tomato Sauce 
Ingredients
Tomato juice - 10 cups 
Requires about 2 kgs of juicy tomatoes. 
Sugar - 1 cup
Vinegar - 1/2 cup
salt to taste
Red Chilli  -  1 t.sp

To be tied in a cheese cloth
Garlic - 2 pods
Onion - 1 medium
Jeera - 1 tspn
Cardamom - 5 nos
Cloves - 3 nos
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Cinnammon - 1 inch pc
Nutmeg powder- 1/2 tspn
Peel the tomatoes. Easiest way for doing this put the tomatoes in hot boiling water & let it boil for about a minute. Remove the tomatoes from the water & immediately show them under the tap in cold running water. Make puree of it and strain. You can also wash and puree the tomatoes directly and strain.

Powder the spices. Mix it to chopped garlic and onion. Tie this mixture in a cheese cloth.

Take the juice with 3/4 cup of the sugar. Add the red chili powder. Dip the cloth pouch in to the juice and cook till you can smell the aroma of spices.
This will take around 20 minutes. Just stir 2/3 times in between. By this time, the syrup will start thickening. Remove the tied pouch.

Add salt, vinegar and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Boil the mixture, till it reduces to 1/3 of the original quantity. Cool and fill it in clean, sterilized bottle & refrigerate.
This is my entry for the event MBP : Tantalizing Sauces guest hosted by Rachel of Tangerine's Kitchen, started by Coffee of The Spice Cafe

1 comment:

  1. Love the fiery red colour...nothing better than a homemade tomato sauce.

    Thanks for the entry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...