Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Damrot Halwa

Damrot is a delectable Halwa which I first tasted in a marriage in my native place. It is made from Pumpkin and is very famous in South India. It is long time since I had made it. Now it is Halloween time here and we get Pumpkins in all different sizes and shapes. And my previous post Healthy Pumpkin Dosa tells the importance of Pumpkin for our health. So this is my next Pumpkin recipe.

Dumrot Halwa

Ingredients :
Finely Grated Pumpkin - 2 cups
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder
Nutmeg powder (Jayphal)
Dry fruits for garnishing

Method:
Grate finely the pumpkin. Take the grated cloth in a clean thin cotton cloth. And squeeze it tightly to discard the water from the grated Pumpkin.  
 
Heat ghee in a thick bottomed vessel and add the grated pumpkin.
Keep stirring till the raw smell of the Pumpkin is almost gone. Takes about 7 to 10 min. Keep the gas on medium. When it is done add milk.
Stir frequently, and when it becomes very thick i.e. the Pumpkin gets cooked will in the milk add sugar, cardamom and nutmeg powder.
Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture reaches halwa consistency.I cooked it a little further so that the mixture leaves the sides of the vessel.
Remove from heat, add the dry fruits ( I added the dry fruits shown in the above picture.It gives a good crunchy taste). And transfer it to a greased plate. Garnish with dried fruits. Let it cool, cut into pieces and serve.
And Dumrot Halwa is going to the following events

6 comments:

  1. Thats looking so yum..thanks for the lovely entry Lakshmi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you and family Happy Diwali...Halwa looking so delicious..gud one dear...thanks for the wonderful entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halwa looks delicious... it has come out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Mahi, Sagari, Srivalli and Priti for the delicious comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made this halwa before, but I was not aware that it had the name Dumrot halwa. That's new to me. I usually make it in the microwave and also add MTR Badam Feast for extra taste. Love your version too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...